The first thing you should do when trying to choose the perfect baby shower gift is consider the parents. Quite frankly, babies do not have the awareness or the ability to complain when you buy them weird stuff. But their parents do. A great baby shower gift is something the baby’s parents will think is cute, funny, entertaining, or practical, and if you care about that sort of thing, something the other guests will think is neat.
Baby Shower Gift Don’ts:
1. Don’t give stuffed animals as a shower gift. The parents will probably have already chosen one or two special “stuffies.” Too many plush toys gather dust and take up space.
2. Don’t try to outdo the other guests at the baby shower by giving some ridiculous present. You will make people, especially the guest of honor, uncomfortable if you spend too much. Personally, I think $30-40 should be your maximum unless you are family or you are going in on a big item with others.
3. Don’t buy too much in the “0-3 month” size if you choose clothing as a baby shower gift. That sizing is a big lie! Your friends’ baby will likely grow out of those clothes by the time he/she is two months old, if not sooner, especially if he is a boy.
Baby Shower Gift Do’s:
1. One-piece t-shirts rule!!! Your friends will thank you if you buy a practical baby shower gift like these. These one-pieces are like a t-shirt but button down at the crotch for fast and easy diaper changes. Most babies live in these when they are around the house.
2. Consider an unusual baby shower gift and think about getting a gift card especially for diapers. Who won’t need diapers? Make sure you find out what type of diaper the parents would like—cloth is actually making a comeback.
3. If you have a special talent for crafting, a handmade baby shower gift would be wonderful. Parents treasure the gift that someone has spent time and love creating, such as a pretty hat or blanket.
Finally, remember the purpose of a baby shower gift. You want the baby’s parents to know how much you care about them and their joyous new arrival. Have fun at the shower!